Games, marketing, the web and new technology

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Who's looking at your Space

My Space has been in the news again for all the wrong reasons, security of the users on the site has been put in jeopardy with known sex offenders being My Space users. Wired news reported the issue conducting investigations using the sex offenders register and running names through my space. Only conclusive matches were researched and the discoveries on their spaces were quite a surprise (or maybe not), the convicted sex offenders never mentioned nothing about their previous convictions and some had more than 400 'friends'.

Well, are the people at My Space doing enough about this, the ease of which the Wired news investigation team uncovered these individuals would say 'no', as the My Space team have recently come under fire for the lack of security for their members.

The main problem regarding My Space is the ease with which details
about individuals can be recovered the members are willing to share quite personal details such as phone numbers address and pictures of themselves. This makes it a potential danger to the user as they could become a target for a sexual predator.

This would make worrying reading for any parent concerned with their son/daughter using My Space and should be My Spaces primary issue in the development of their product. With the recent appointment of
Hemanshu (Hemu) Nigam to fill a new post of chief security officer it would seem they are doing just that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home